Sunday, August 10, 2014

Fun at the Fair: Mexican Street Corn

Yum
August seems to be the month of state fairs.  
See, I am still not addressing that back to school thing...I am in denial.  Where or where did summer go?
Anyway, state fairs and outdoor festivals abound in the Midwest, especially in August.  (You see, time is ticking before the weather turns nasty and we all hibernate for a year and a half...so not exaggerating)!  So, enjoying all the outside festivities is a must!

I know a lot of people LUUUUV the carnival/fair rides.  The spinning, the sudden drops are such a thrill.  Me?  Not so much the rides...bad experience long ago.
Let's just say carnival food + backwards spinning rides = a future husband
What?  Yes, actually it equals "bathroom" time but in my case I got a husband out of it too!  So sick, but my then boyfriend was so concerned and we got married.  Well not within hours, but years later.  That was the start of our relationship...just a glimpse at my past.  :)

Anywhooo...carnival rides are an important part, but so is the foooooood!  How about those fried Oreos, fried butter sticks and super sweet lemonade?  Check out the pins I have gathered on my Going to the Fair pinterest board.  You could recreate the same foodie experience at home.
Moving on...let's talk Mexican Street Corn.



Haven't you seen those people walking around the fair with a cob of corn that is just ooozing with goodness?  I have and I have thought, whoa...way too messy to eat out.  So, time to make it at home.



Get your chompers ready, 'cuz it is going to be good and messy!

After shucking each ear of corn, I boil the corn for 8-10 minutes.  After I remove the corn from the water, I slap them on the grill for an additional 3-4 minutes to get that smoky grill flavor.  Then it is time to add the yummies!

Ingredients to make 6 corn on the cob:
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup queso fresco (found in cheese area of grocery store)
2 limes, cut into wedges
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
salt

Slather the mayo all over the corn.  Then sprinkle on the cheese and spices.  Squeeze the lime juice over top.  



It will drip down your arms, but you won't care once you bite into those cobs!  They are juicy with a tiny little kick.  The lime is a wonderful flavor put into the mix.  I love the corn this way!

So what is your favorite food at a carnival?

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

You may also like:
Easy Funnel Cake

3 comments:

  1. I've never had this but have always wanted to try it! *-* Thanks for sharing this recipe! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Farrah! You'll never go back to regular corn on the cob! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing. Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete